Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mango Chicken


Now that I no longer have school, I have much more free time—much more free time to experiment in the kitchen that is. While I still had school, I often cooked dinner for my family, except when I had after school activities that ended after my parents got home from work. With school clubs off my schedule, now it is my “responsibility” to cook dinner every night. I enjoy it though, because not only is it a fantastic opportunity to sharpen up my cooking skills, but I also get to choose what to eat for dinner, which is always great.

Making dinner every single night comes with not only authority, but also duty. I cannot simply feed my family the same stuff every night; I need to mix it up a bit so that they don’t get bored of similar dishes every night (gosh I sound like a housewife). A typical Li family dinner consists of either rice or steamed bread, with three to four dishes that are shared. I usually try to have a protein dish, a leafy green dish, a non-leafy green vegetable dish, and a little something extra.


I remember a mango chicken entrée that I had at a Thai restaurant on my 18th birthday. It was the best dish on the table, which was probably why it came to me today as I was pondering about what to cook for my family tonight. This dish is so colorful, so tasty, and so healthy. Some people prefer it sweeter, while others prefer it tangier, so feel free to add more or less of the flavorings. Although it is not necessary, serving the mango chicken in the mango skins creates a stunning setting. This dish is a keeper. I really do hope you try it out.

Ingredients

1 tbsp oil
1 stalk green onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 large boneless chicken breasts, sliced
1 mango, sliced
1 cup sliced bell pepper
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp paprika powder
1 handful cilantro, chopped

Directions

1. Heat the oil on a large skillet over high heat. Add garlic, ginger, and onion. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add chicken and bell peppers. Stir-fry until the chicken is fully cooked.
2. Add in the sliced mango.
3. Add in the remaining ingredients except the cilantro. Mix well.
4. Turn off the heat. Sprinkle the cilantro over the top. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment