Sunday, May 15, 2011

Skillet Oatmeal Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies

Is it really okay to eat raw cookie dough? I dunno, but the idea of raw eggs, mixed with raw flour, and raw baking soda never seemed particularly appealing to me. I thought that the combination would produce a rather unpleasant amalgamation, but little did I know, cookie dough is actually very tasty. I took my first bite today gingerly with a teaspoon, but after 5 minutes, I was straight out scooping cookie dough with my hands and stuffing my face. In fact, it got so outrageous that I had to force myself to stop, or I’d have no dough left to cook into cookies. I sincerely hope my stomach will be able to deal with the rawness of my afternoon snack. Well, I guess we’ll find out tomorrow, or possibly even tonight…

When I found out that it was national chocolate chip day from my trusty Foodimentary twitter followee, I simply had to make some over-adorned chocolate chip cookies. There was just one problem: my oven was broken. So you may think, well there’s simply no way of making cookies without an oven; however, I did not let this one small setback stop me from pursuing my dream of the day. No… I put on my thinking hats and milked my creative juices. I thought, if you can cook a cake on a countertop (think pancakes) then surely you could cook a cookie on a countertop too?

So I set out on my culinary adventure with an impending discovery under my invisible belt. To my usual chocolate chip cookie dough I added oatmeal and pretzels, which gave the cookies an extra degree of both texture and flavor. When it came time to cook the cookies (hmm…I never realized the similarity of those two words), I carefully placed a patty of cookie dough on the hot skillet. I flipped the cookie and waited patiently for signs of success. After not too long, I decided it was time to test the cookie. I carefully broke off a chunk and let it disintegrate between my teeth. To my delight, both the taste and texture of this uniquely “baked” cookie resembled your typical chocolate chip cookie. Let’s just say that I basked in my satisfaction at having made cookies without an oven. It was quite a moment there today in the kitchen for me.

Ingredients

1 ¾ cup flour
½ cup old-fashioned oatmeal
½ cup quick cooking oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
½ cup pretzels, broken into pieces

Directions

1. Sift flour and baking soda in a bowl. Stir in the oatmeal.
2. In a big bowl, beat eggs till frothy. Add olive oil and vanilla and beat until completely mixed. Add sugars and mix thoroughly.
3. Slowly add in flour mixture a little at a time and mix in with a fork. Stir in the chocolate chips and pretzels.
4. Heat a skillet on medium heat. Roll cookie dough into 2-3 inch patties and place on the skillet.
5. Cook on one side for a few minutes until the top is no longer shiny. Flip and cook on the other side for a few minutes more.
6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment