Monday, December 12, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Balls


So where have I been the past three months of my life? I guess you can say I’m been on a hiatus. Because while college certainly isn’t a cakewalk, it’s a break: a break from the high school days, a break from living with my parents, a break from seeing familiar faces everywhere I go, and a break from home-style food. College is different to high school (duh, my high school chemistry teacher said when I announced this profound fact to him). It’s more fun. There’s much more free time. People are nicer.

I think over the last three months and am reminded of the friendships made, the memories shared, the frat basements visited. Then there’s the screwed up hours of sleep, the ubiquitous complaints, the irrational demands, and the spontaneous acts. I think that Hanover must be magical. What other reason is there to explain how 1000 people will willingly run 115 (or rather, 15) laps around a gigantic bonfire? Or how strangers will pay for your meal because you absentmindedly left your ID back in your dorm? Or how the entire campus will have snowball fight at midnight in freezing temperatures?


I honestly thought I could keep up this blog during college, but to my shame and realization, I’ve pretty much neglected it. So now I’m in winter break with four weeks to do stuff. I’m going to try hard to make it a productive few weeks of catching up with friends, eating much-missed food, piano playing, leisurely reading, exercising, and visiting places. From this list, you can tell I haven’t really changed much. Besides a few pounds heavier (not quite up to the freshman 15 yet though…) and 3 classes more knowledgeable (in spite of the lost brain cells) I’m proud to say I’m still my old self.

Ingredients

1 cup pretzels
½ cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tsp oil
3 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
¾ cup semisweet chocolate
white chocolate (optional)

Directions

1. Put the pretzels into a plastic bag and crush into small pieces with a rolling pin.
2. Spoon the peanut butter in a medium bowl and stir in the oil. Pour the crushed pretzels in the peanut butter, add the confectioner’s sugar, and stir well.
3. Shape the peanut butter mixture into small rounds by rolling it in your hands. Place on a tray and put into the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Melt the semisweet chocolate in the microwave or on a double boiler. Carefully dip the peanut butter balls into the chocolate to coat. If desired, melt some white chocolate and drizzle over the top.




7 comments:

  1. I've been looking for something to make for our office pot luck - thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tons of extra pretzels right now... And now I know what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have pinned these are my @Pinterest and people have re-pinned and liked them like crazy. Meaning they are all heading to this yummy recipe here Lisa! Happy holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you dip these? I tried dipping them in chocolate with a skewer, but that doesn't work. The pretzels make the balls too dry/not sticky enough to hold the skewer. I ended up eating the messy one...sooooo yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can be difficult to dip. What I do is just dip half of it in the melted chocolate and use my fingers to smooth chocolate over the other side. Good thing, is it tastes great no matter what it looks like!

      Delete
  5. I haven't made these yet but I have dipped other candies in chocolate before. I went to Michael's and picked up candy dipping tools. It's like 3.99 for two plastic dippers. I am going to try using those!

    ReplyDelete