Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Healthy Waffles with Fresh Strawberries


…And that’s a wrap! On winter term that is. A few snow showers, too many Collis smoothies, and numerous floor movie nights later, here I am again, back home relaxing and blogging. I can’t believe I’m already two-thirds into with my freshman year at Dartmouth. As cliché as it sounds, it seems like it was just yesterday when I was welcomed to my home away from home.

Back in Philly with the pantry fully stocked, I’m eager to begin experimenting in the kitchen again. I no longer have to ask the entire dorm for an egg, or resort to using only vegan recipes when my baking supplies are low.


I’ve always been a big fan of breakfast, but it’s difficult to get a healthy one in college when waking up before 9 is a tremendous feat. Most days, my breakfast just ends up being a granola bar and a cup of coffee. Sometimes, I crawl to our campus café for a nourishing bowl of oatmeal; I hardly ever make it to the dining hall. This morning, I made these lite waffles for my sister right before she left for school. Yes, I had to wake up at 7am to do so. No more sleeping at 2 and waking up at 9 for me. I’m determined to have a healthy sleep schedule this spring break.

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup nonfat milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
Strawberries
Icing sugar (optional)
Syrup, agave nectar, or honey (optional)

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Make a well in the center.
2. Combine milk, lemon juice, oil, and egg. Add to the flour mixture and stir until smooth.
3. Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and follow the manual directions
4. Decorate with fresh strawberries. Dust with icing sugar and serve with syrup (or for a healthier alternative, agave nectar or honey) if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment