Saturday, March 17, 2012

Blueberry Scones with a Streusel Topping


Sometimes, my life is so boring (and my brain so dead) that I wonder, why do I even have a blog? I guess it’s so I can share the result of my cooking with the World Wide Web, but I also try to share a bit of my life too. Sorry I’ve got nothing else interesting to share today but this recipe and these photos. Hopefully, I’ll be in more of a writing mood tomorrow.


Ingredients

¾ cup dried blueberries
1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
2 tbsp white sugar
¼ cup butter (1/2 stick)
2 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup milk

Streusel Topping:
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Place dried blueberries in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Leave to soak for 5 minutes, then drain and pat dry with a paper towel.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter (or use your hands) until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the blueberries. Add in the beaten eggs and milk, and stir until the dough comes together.
5. On a lightly floured surface pat out the dough until ¾ inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut it into rounds (or into triangles with a knife). Place on a lined cookie sheet. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with streusel topping.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.

To make the streusel topping: combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. With a pastry cutter (or your hands), cut in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.



No comments:

Post a Comment