Monday, August 23, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls


A trip to the country side is a worthy journey now and again. Going through Lancaster County to Pennsylvania Dutch Country- otherwise known as where the Amish people-reminded me of the happiness gained from the simple pleasures in life. While my family and I waited for seats in a restaurant called Millers, we watched a video showing how “Stickies” are made. Looking at the product on the shelf, I concluded that Stickies are just what we would call cinnamon rolls. Cinnamon rolls have always been on my list of “foods to make when I have spare time,” and watching the video gave me the inspiration to finally make some.

To find the prefect recipe for cinnamon rolls, I had to do some research on the Internet. In the end, I found two recipes that I compiled into the one recipe below. I grabbed the recipe for the dough from one recipe and the recipe for the filling from the other. I then added my own recipe for the icing. The resulting recipe basically makes the healthiest (well at least the lowest fat) cinnamon rolls possible. The applesauce filling is unique and tastes surprisingly familiar- not like applesauce at all. In fact, it tastes just like the filling of a regular cinnamon roll. Going through the mall later this afternoon and smelling the heavenly aroma of Cinnabon rolls, I felt good that I had some fresh rolls waiting for me at home that did not cost me 730 calories, along with a higher chance of diabetes.


Ingredients

Rolls:
1 cup warm fat-free milk (100° F to 110° F)
1 tbsp melted trans-fat free margarine (such as I can’t believe It’s Not Butter)
2 tbsp oil
1/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 package quick-rise yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
3 ¾ all-purpose flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
Cooking spray

Filling:
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons honey

Icing:
1 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp water

Directions

1. Combine milk, 1 tablespoon melted margarine, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, and yeast in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add egg and remaining granulated sugar to bowl. Stir in 1 cup flour; let stand 10 minutes.
2. Add 2 1/2 cups flour and salt to milk mixture; stir until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky). Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray; turn to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, 35 minutes or until doubled in size. Punch dough down; cover and let rise 35 minutes or until doubled in size. Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. In another bowl, mix together the honey and applesauce
4. Roll the dough into a 16×21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with applesauce mixture and sprinkle evenly with sugar and cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 16 rolls. Place rolls, cut sides up, in a greased baking tray. Cover and let rise for 35minutes or until doubled size.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Uncover rolls. Bake at 350 degrees F for 22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 10minutes in dishes on a wire rack. Turn rolls out onto wire rack; cool 5 minutes. Turn rolls over.
6. To make the icing, mix the icing sugar and water together to a smooth consistency. Spoon over rolls.



No comments:

Post a Comment