Thursday, July 8, 2010

Apple Cake



What happens when you have too many apples in your fridge? I found myself pondering this very question today when I looked into the fridge and discovered that our delicious golden delicious apples were starting to rot. Automatically I thought of baking an apple pie; however, I realized that my family of four who eat oh-so-healthy could never finish a whole apple pie. Last time I tried making one just for my family, we ended up freezing portions of it, and then throwing out the freezed portions when no one would eat them.

So instead of putting the pressure on my family to eat, I decided to shift the pressure onto friends and ended up baking an apple cake for my mum’s colleagues. Lucky for me, they love my food and I knew that my mum owed them a cake for I hadn’t baked for them in awhile.

While this cake is far from healthy, it does contain fruit and oil, rather than butter. My mum tells me to not compromise on taste when it comes to feeding people other than my family. Although I sometimes feel guilty giving unhealthy food to friends, their praise always manages to alleviate my guilt significantly.

I hate giving people food not knowing whether it tastes good or not. I put some of the cake batter into a ramekin to make a tiny version of the apple cake for my family to sample for dessert. It was very moist and “yummy” (Jasy, my sister) and now I feel secure handling the cake over to my mum tomorrow morning.

Ingredients
2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (more if you are a big fan of cinnamon)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
4 cups apples - peeled, cored and diced

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x13 inch or round cake pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat oil and eggs with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat well.
3. Combine the flour, baking soda, and ground cinnamon together in a separate bowl. Slowly add this mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined. The batter will be very thick. Fold in the apples by hand using a wooden spoon. Spread batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 minutes or until cake tests done. Let cake cool on a wire rack. Once the cake is cool decorate with a dusting of confectioners' sugar.









3 comments:

  1. hi lisaaa. nomnom-y. recipes just make it better!
    meep

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiiii Meep!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving the first comment!!
    Please follow me? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, it's Helen and her mom, we just love stalking your recipes/blog. :D Your cake was AMAZING, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete