Monday, December 3, 2012

Whole Wheat Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies



The days of reading, running, web surfing, and baking are back. With still four weeks remaining of my six-week winter break (it’s super long this year because they moved finals to the week before Thanksgiving), one part of me thinks I should really find something productive to do, but another part of me says I should just relax and recharge before another grueling quarter.

Sure I like the quarter system in that you only focus on three classes at a time, only have to deal with a crappy prof for ten weeks, and can take terms off when everyone else is still in school, but it kind of sucks when your beaks barely coincide with high school friends’.  But then again, I guess I should be thankful that I’m sitting in bed on a Monday evening with only the worry of how to fit in a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother into the remainder of my day, while my friends at other colleges are probably stressing in the library beginning finals studying.


Today I made toffee cookies! Why? Because I happened to have a bag of Heath baking bits on hand, and did not know a more creative way to use them up than to simply add them to chocolate chip cookie dough. I substituted half of the all purpose flour for whole wheat flour, and cut down the butter by half just to warrant eating more than two of these babies in one sitting. So go ahead, tell yourself that these cookies are actually kinda sorta healthy, because it’s kinda sorta true!

Ingredients

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
¾ cup white sugar
1 stick butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup Heath toffee bits
½ cup chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar, white sugar, and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and eggs.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix well.
5. Stir in toffee bits and chocolate chips. Drop balls of dough on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies start to brown around the edges. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment