Friday, March 4, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I’ve just realized that I don’t have a recipe for chocolate chip cookies on my blog. I mean seriously Lisa, what kind of blog doesn’t have a recipe for the most classic cookie of all time? I might as well just give up life and live on the streets. Well, thank goodness I’ve realized my mistake and don’t have to resort to doing that.

Thanks to my trusty source (Wikipedia), I’ve uncovered the secret behind the birth of the CCC. Apparently, Ruth Wakefield was baking chocolate cookies when she ran out of baker’s chocolate and substituted in pieces of Nestlé semi-sweet chocolate hoping it would melt and incorporate into the batter. It did not however, and voila, the life of the CCC began.

While these cookies are definitely not a health food, they really are as healthy as cookies can get. They are made with olive oil, which lowers your LDL and raises your HDL. Want an extra dose of heart healthy oils? Just throw some flaxseed meal into the batter for some omega 3 goodness.

The great thing about this recipe is that you can throw anything into the batter: M&Ms, raisins, walnuts, oatmeal. Feel free to mix up ingredients and create your own masterpiece of a cookie.


Everyone’s always on that hunt for the perfect chocolate chip cookie, and while I don’t think I’ve quite found it, I’m pretty darn close.

Ingredients

2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Sift flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a big bowl, beat eggs till frothy. Add olive oil and vanilla and beat until completely mixed. Add sugars and mix thoroughly.
4. Slowly add in flour mixture a little at a time and mix in with a fork. Stir in the chocolate chips. Roll into tablespoon sized balls and place 1 inch apart on the baking tray. Flatten a tiny bit with a fork or just with your fingers.
5. Bake for 16-18 minutes until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool a little on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.



No comments:

Post a Comment