Saturday, January 1, 2011

Nonfat Gingersnaps


I cannot believe it. Here I am, sitting at my desk, enjoying the very last few hours of 2010. I say this every year, because it occurs to me every year: each year goes by so quickly. We think that we have a whole lifetime filled with hopefully a big handful of years, but with each year zooming by, how long do we really have? We all have mental lists of stuff we want to do in life (bungee off a cliff, go to Antarctica, go to jail...) and we need to do them now when we have time, instead of saving it for later. 2011 is a huge year for me. It’s the year that I graduate from high school, and it’s the year that I dive into my college life.

Every year, my family and I make a big deal to set New Year’s resolutions. Even if they are just little, it feels great to know that there is something you’re going to (hopefully) achieve by the end of the year. Last year, my New Year’s resolution was to not eat chocolate for a whole year. I have to admit, I failed on the very first day. During the morning on the first of January 2010, I was making chocolate milk for my sister when I accidentally licked the spoon after stirring the milk. It was totally unintentional and I felt like such a failure after! But I told myself, why give up just because I failed the first day? So I went through the rest of the year avoiding all food that had cocoa. Now that it is just 2 hours until the New Year, I’m excited to have a big bite of chocolate! I already have a huge supply of chocolate treats waiting for me to dig into.


My sister and I agreed to avoid soda entirely as our New Year’s resolution for next year. It should not be very difficult for me, as I don’t drink soda very often, but I am glad that I am doing it with my sister so that we can encourage each other through the year. In addition, I am pledging to keep up with my daily 5 minute gym routine. This will be more difficult, especially with the start of college, but I know that if I set it as a New Year’s resolution, it will be much easier to achieve.

I decided that a recipe for nonfat gingersnaps was perfect to share on New Year’s Eve. Gingersnaps symbolize what a New Year is all about—they are chewy, aromatic, and 100% satisfying. It doesn’t hurt to state the obvious that they are also fat-free. Whether you make yourself a batch of these cookies or share them around at a New Year’s Eve party, they are sure to please.

Goodbye 2010. You really have been great.
Hey there, 2011! You’re going to be even better.
I can feel it.

Ingredients

1 cup, packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
1/6 cup molasses
1/6 cup honey
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground dried ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 cup finely-chopped raisins
additional sugar (about 1/4 cup) mixed with a big pinch of cinnamon for rolling the cookies

Directions

1. Sift together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.
2. In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, applesauce, and molasses with an electric hand mixer for five minutes at medium speed.
3. After five minutes, stop the mixer, and add the egg whites. Beat for another minute.
4. With the mixer at its lowest speed, add the dry ingredients until completely incorporated, and mix on medium for one minute.
5. Stir in the chopped raisins. Chill the batter for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Pour ¼ cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow baking dish. Scoop the cookies into heaped tablespoon-sized balls and coast them in the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
8. Put the cookie mounds onto lined baking sheets, leaving room between them to spread.
9. Bake for 13 minutes, or until the cookies feel just barely set in the center. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.


No comments:

Post a Comment